Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Another summer project came and went

Life has been a bit crazy. I got back from project on July 23. Flew into Houston, spend the afternoon and evening with my parents. Drove back into Austin late that night around 2:30 am. I then had about a week to pack up my house to move to New Orleans. I still can't believe I moved. But before I get into my move to New Orleans, I feel I still need to wrap up summer project.

This summer was another one of my more enjoyable summers. Eight students and 11 staff participated on the project. Four days out of the week, we did ministry on college campuses - trusted God for new simple movements to start up in our short 4 weeks there. Each Saturday, we headed up to San Francisco and participated in more mercy/compassion type ministries. And to be honest, these days were a lot more stretching for me. God really used the days to grip my heart for those that are different than me. One day, we ministered at a place like a "half-way house". We passed out lunches and prayed for those staying there - many of whom were strung out on alcohol or drugs. Through my interaction with them, I was reminded of the hunger and thirst of the woman at the well in John 4. Another day, we ministered at a youth center for trans-genders. I must admit, I didn't know what to expect, not having interacted with trans-genders before. But I must say, it was one of my more enjoyable activities of the summer. The whole time I was there, God continually reminded me that He died for them as well. That He loved them and that though they may be different, they are people too. It's such a simple thing. And even as I write about it, I think, uh...duh, but it really was a profound experience for me.

I could go on and on with the stories, but check out some of these links to others blogs:
http://www.xanga.com/Truongalong/507700598/wow.html?nextdate=last
http://denchen.blogspot.com/ (read the epic bay area project posts - there are 9 of them)

Okay, more about my transition to New Orleans later.

No comments: